Put a twist on your Christmas dinner this year by offering your guests this moist Christmas turkey roll created by chef Tom Kerridge. It features a crunchy topping and a bacon stuffing.
For the crumble topping
For the stuffing mix
For the turkey
1. For the crumble topping, crush the pork scratchings and the sourdough pieces in a bowl. Add the pistachios, cranberries and thyme. Mix with your hands and set aside in a covered container.
2. For the stuffing, mix all ingredients together apart from the bacon.
3. Trim any bits of fat or membrane from the turkey. With a sharp knife, open out the turkey breast as if you are butterflying it. Place the turkey between two sheets of cling film and flatten it out a little with a rolling pin.
4. Cut two large pieces of aluminium foil and lay the turkey breast on top. Season with salt and pepper. Spread a generous dollop of the stuffing mix in a 5mm/1/4in layer onto the turkey breast and then use the foil to help you roll it up like a Swiss roll. Completely encase the turkey in the two layers of foil and secure with cook’s string at regular intervals along the length of the roll. Place in the fridge until needed.
5. Preheat the oven to 120C/250F/Gas1/2.
6. Add 400ml/14floz boiling water to a deep roasting tin. Place a wire rack in the tin and place the rolled turkey breast on top. Cover the roasting tin with aluminium foil.
7. Roast in the oven for 1 1/2 – 2 hours, then check the core temperature with a meat thermometer. You are looking fora temperature of 70C/160F. If it is not ready, place back into the oven and continue to cook. Once cooked, remove from the oven, cover with aluminium foil and set aside to rest for 40 minutes. When cool, remove the string and foil.
8.For the stuffing, preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3 and line a terrine mould or flameproof bowl with the streaky bacon, leaving some excess hanging over the sides. Pack the mould with the remaining stuffing mix and wrap the bacon over the top.
9. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, or until the middle has reached 70C/160F on a meat thermometer. When cooked, remove from the oven and set aside to rest for 20 minutes.
10. After 20 minutes, turn out the stuffing and pat dry. Heat the grill to hot, then grill the stuffing until the bacon is crisp.
11. When rested, remove the turkey from the roasting tin and brush a thick layer of brown sauce over the top. Cover with the Christmas crumble mix, top with a little orange zest and serve straight away with the stuffing.
Connect with us
View by date
Queen Elizabeth II poses for a rare and beautiful official portrait, which was captured last year at Windsor Castle by royal photographer Chris Jackson, and which has recently been released to the nation. The portrait shows Her Majesty, 94 years old, wearing blue sapphire jewellery and a matching tiara, along with a couple of pieces …Read more...
“The role of bricks and mortar in later life is changing”, says the Chairman of the Equity Release Council, as hopes of housing wealth being included in the pensions dashboard improve! At its second reading last Wednesday, The Pension Schemes Bill has been passed in the House of Commons after some debate between MPs. …Read more...
We are grasping onto the last ounces of sunny, warm(ish) weather, and now your garden will need some attention and preparation for autumn and winter With the hot summer we have had this year, and the surprise second-budding of your flowers, your garden will have had its work cut out this summer, and is …Read more...
With Halloween coming up, there is nothing that symbolizes this holiday better than a carved pumpkin… Whether you want to create a simple jack-o-lantern or something a little more artistic, here are some hints and tips that will help you out, as anyone who has ever carved a pumpkin already knows, it can be …Read more...
With half-term already approaching, we thought we’d take a look at some of the awesome family days out available this year… Legoland Treat the little-ones this half term, especially after starting school and the craziest of the past 6-months, with a day out at Legoland, Windsor. Legoland is the ultimate experience for kids of …Read more...